Hudson's Bay Company

Fort Pelly was moved to 51°46′35″N 101°59′51″W, approximately one quarter mine southeast, in 1856 due to problems with occasional flooding at the old location, although the old fort was still in some capacity used until at least 1859. On July 15, 1870, the Hudson's Bay Company surrendered its lands to Canada, while retaining its posts and some land immediately surrounding them. The fort was now located on block 17 of the Fort Pelly Reserve. Around 1871 Fort Ellice succeeded Fort Pelly as district headquarters. In 1909 theCanadian Northern Railway was built 6 miles north of Fort Pelly, and trade at the fort all but ceased, and it was abandoned in June, 1912.

© Rick Kurtz 2011